Acne is a common skin problem that comes to every one of us at some part of our life. However, there are different types of acne and the place where it occurs means different. Acne is not limited to face alone but it can appear on any part of the skin in the entire body. Most commonly it is seen on the face, back, chest, bottom, upper arms, and thighs. Although some acne is treatable at home and goes off in few days without leaving any scar, some need medical help to cure it. Some of you may have experience acne on your back. Back acne is also known as the truncal acne is a very common skin condition and it can be treated.
Why does back acne occur?
Though back acne is seen often in many, there is a reason why it occurs. Like the acne of the face and other acne on the body, the back acne also occurs due to the activities of the oil glands. Acne occurs when there is an abnormal production of oil from the oil glands in the areas where there are these glands. Hence, the acne is seen most commonly in particular parts of the body usually. Back acne is seen more among the men than women and it is mostly hormonal.
What causes back acne?
We know the reason as for why the back acne occurs, but there are various other reasons that trigger the oil glands and increase the limit making the skin inflame and cause acne. Some of them are,
- Dandruff: Dandruff is a skin condition that affects the scalp of your head, making the skin dry and itchy. This dried skin which falls down on your back interacts with the oil glands making it cause acne in the back.
- PCOD: The Polycystic Ovarian disease seen among the women has the back acne as one of its symptoms. Hence if you see acne on your back which does not dry and heals soon, it is always wise to get checked.
- Shaving or waxing: Sometimes removal of hair from the body causes folliculitis. This folliculitis on the back cause truncal acne.
- Friction or overheat: When your back is exposed to any kind of a friction or heat, the skin pops up and acne are produced. Especially when there is no proper air passage at your back.
Remedies for back acne
Back acne can be treated with medicines as well as home remedies. Here are a few to help you to get rid of them.
Image credit goes to Flickr Mike Mozart
- Apple cider vinegar: Dilute the vinegar with water and keep it in the refrigerator. Spray the mixture daily on your back 2-3 times a day. Apple cider vinegar has good anti-bacterial properties. It also helps in neutralizing the pH value of the skin.
Image credit goes to Flickr Aqua Mechanical
- Baking Soda: Baking soda helps in exfoliating the skin. Make a paste of the baking soda with water and apply on the affected area. Wash it off after few minutes.
Image credit goes to Flickr Esther Max
- Honey: Honey is known for its medicinal properties. Mix a spoon of honey with oats. This helps in clearing the extra oil present in the pores.
Image credit goes to Flickr Rae Allen
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is known for soothing and anti-fungal properties. Apply the gel on your back to feel relaxed. Use it moderately for best results.
Back acne is also known as bacne or truncal acne may seem painful at times and itchy. But careful measures and follow-up treatment will help you to cure the acne for a lifetime.