Loose motions have a single impact on tummy and that is producing loose stools. Its symptoms and causes are much different in all age groups. Reasons in include:-
- Poor hygiene– Dirty surroundings are the basic culprits for infections. In an unclean environment, it is easy to catch the virus.
- Infected food– Outside food can cause diarrhea to a large extent.
- Medication– Antibiotics can also result in loose motions. Strong antibiotics can be harsh on the digestive system.
- Food allergy– People have different allergies from different foods like many create troublesome stomach after eating dairy products, many can’t digest pulses etc.
Problem and Remedies in case of Infants:
Mothers get shocked when their infant stops taking the breastfeed. It’s difficult for them to believe that their delicate one has an upset stomach because an infant depends on the breast milk and nothing else and breast milk is considered as the healthiest feed.
A 0-6 months infant can show vomit, will look fussy, cry continuously, fever as symptoms of diarrhea or bad digestion. No need to feel surprised, you can try some easy remedies to prevent and cure them for further diarrhea:-
- Apple sauce can give some relief to above 5 months infants. Peel and chop an apple and cook it with some water in a pan, mash with the fork. This should not be considered as apple juice, so don’t go for a shortcut.
- Experts suggest increasing the frequency of breastfeeding in loose motions.
- In India, dal ka paani (pulses in water) is the most sought after feeding for the infants. It means, boil some yellow lentils and sieve it to get the thin water of the lentil. It is highly nutritious and easily digested food for the baby.
- If the baby has too hard stools, contact an expert immediately.
- Breast feeding mothers need to slow down on dairy products, which may cause the baby to feel upset and produce loose motions as some babies have lactose intolerance.
- Gripe water is a quickly available remedy for trapped air for above 1-month-old infants.
Problem and Remedies in case of Toddlers:
Food poisoning is a bacterial infection which may lead to mild stomach indigestion and even severe diarrhea. Toddlers carry such infections easily because they crawl in the whole house and touch & even inhale things they are not aware of. If not stopped on time, they are easily attacked by the virus. Severe diarrhea can cause frequent watery stools, blood in stools, cramps, miserable feeling, and 2-10 watery stools per day in toddlers. Go for simple remedies:-
- Give your toddler lots of fluids; give water in a gap of every 20 minutes. ORS, i.e. oral rehydration solution is used for treating dehydration.
- Give boiled lentil and rice (which is known as khichdi in India). The mixture should not be thick, in fact, the runnier it is and more will cure motions.
- Toddlers can be given honey with dry toast when bowel movements are little painful.
- Mashed bananas are considered best in diarrhea, for all age groups. Bananas also help in replacing nutrients that your body may have lost during diarrhea. This fruit is great for acid indigestion.
- Avoid too much fiber. Also, avoid drinks with sorbitol or fructose.
Problem and Remedies in case of Preschooler:
Your pre- school child needs the diet which prepares the body least prone to the upcoming contaminated environment of the school. Many preschoolers are scared of telling about washroom and resist the pressure which leads to the bad stomach. Kids above 2 years can become sensitive towards a particular food, they can have side effects of antibiotics, candies and too many sweets can also cause diarrhea. Though, it’s normal to catch infections, but, the more your child is strong, the less he will be ill.
- Train your children to wash hands before taking food. Germs have the easiest way through tiny hands.
- If you see his urine color turning yellow, increase the fluid intake soon. Prevent him to reach dehydration, especially in summers.
- Starchy foods are well digested, like bread, grains, rice, mashed potatoes etc. Start your child’s day with mashed potato sandwich; continue his lunch with more liquid lentil soup and curd rice is good for an early dinner.
- Kids are fond of idlis, try this easily digestive food, but, avoid chutney.
- Avoid any food item from the street vendors, even if the kid insists.
Problem and Remedies in case of young Kids:
School going kids are much prone to bacteria and parasites. You may find your kid doing vomit in the school, looks lethargic after reaching home, complaining about sudden stomach ache etc. Even after the home food, children catch infections through sharing food, not washing hands properly etc. Practice proper hygiene at home with children. Use following tips to prevent and cure upset stomach:-
- Prepare a solution of sugar and salt with water in the school bottle, if motions appear watery.
- Give coconut water before sending him to school.
- Fruits like pomegranate can fill up the brunch box in the school and cereal rice is best for upset stomach lunch.
- A low-fiber diet is considered while suffering from loose motions. Avoid heavy foods, oil, high – fiber and carbonated drinks for kids.
- Avoid unpasteurized milk.
Except for above recommendations, FDA has introduced vaccines for bacterial infections. Contact expert for clear instructions.