Pregnancy is one of the best things to ever happen to a woman and it calls for celebration. However, with numerous changes in body, often women experience minor infections and irritations. Most of the ailments are due to several chemical and biological changes in the body and these are due to additional body requirements that you go through during pregnancy. The most common that women often complain is about is yeast infection.
This is the most common vaginal infection that often pregnant woman complain about and is annoying too. Let us understand all about it including the home remedy that you can opt for to counter it.
What Is Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection or medically referred as monilial vaginitis or vaginal candidiasis is caused due to the presence of a fungus named Candida Albicans.
As we all know that the vagina of a woman consists of a normal amount of yeast, but during pregnancy it is prone to infections. With fungi multiplying in that area, the normal routine is obstructed causing infection.
What causes yeast infection?
Following are the factors responsible for causing yeast infection during pregnancy:
- The secretion of estrogen during pregnancy is high amount and the vagina produces glycogen, a combination of these two causes infection.
- Due to high estrogen the speed of multiplication grows that leads to sticking of yeast to vagina walls.
- If you happen to be on antibiotic medicine then it may be yet another cause for yeast infection. It makes one vulnerable to yeast that begins growing.
- Often unclean or wet underwear becomes breeding ground to it; all due to moisture build up.
How to know if you are suffering from Yeast Infection?
It is quite possible that you might already be on it before you are diagnosed with it. Here are few of the symptoms to watch out for:
- Itchiness and soreness.
- Burning sensation and redness of the skin along with swelling.
- Odorless vaginal discharge that is rather thick in appearance.
- Experiencing pain or discomfort during intercourse.
- Burning sensation while taking a piss.
- Redness and swelling of the vulva.
Home remedies for countering yeast infection
- Yogurt is the best when it comes to treating this kind of infection. Applying it on a tampon and then inserting it, changing it twice a day will do the trick. This is due to the presence of live cultures and acidophilus that helps in growth of good bacteria to counter the infection.
- Use garlic that is a natural antibacterial in gel cap form directly into vagina. This will help clear off the infection at a faster rate. However, steer past it if you are suffering from blood disorders.
- Adding ACV or apple cider vinegar to the bath water and soaking in it would help you. Direct application to the affected area will help. It is due to the fact that ACV is antifungal. Add a cup to your bath water, this would help a lot.
However, remember if you or anyone you know is suffering from the symptoms mentioned above then it is better to first get it diagnosed properly. Speak to your doctor about the best course of action to be taken. Pregnancy is hard for some women and often brings in numerous bodily discomforts with it. To make the process smooth and enjoyable, it is necessary to counter the infection and nip it in bud to get rid of it early on.