According to experts, there has been a significant increase in the use of menstrual cups due to the convenience of using one and avoiding leaking of the fluid. Often women using this are comfortable to it as opposed to sanitary pads and tampons. If you are still wondering what a menstrual cup is and whether it is good or not then read on to clarify your doubts.
Credit goes to wikimedia
What are Menstrual Cups?
Menstrual cups look like bell-shaped cups that are often made of silicone and sometimes rubber. When it s folded and inserted into the vagina, it pops open and thus seals the walls to enable hold the fluid within. It is sealed and thus the fluid gets accumulated within the cup until it is full. In general, you need to empty the cup in every 12 hours (at the time of full flow). For emptying the cup you need to remove it first.
It is all due to use of silicon and better designing of the cups that these are now more in use. Why are these more popular? It is due to the numerous advantages that come with using one, these are following:
Advantages of Menstrual Cups or Pros
Using a menstrual cup has its own advantages such as:
- The biggest advantage of using a menstrual cup is that it is reusable. These can be used for years, this means that you will save a lot of money that you consumed purchasing tampons and sanitary napkins.
- More than often it happens that due to heavy bleeding or hygiene purpose there is a need to change a tampon or a pad. However, with a cup inserted within, you are free for 12 hours at stretch. You need not worry changing sooner and free of any tension of leaking too.
- There is no dryness in the vagina that is often caused due to tampons. A cup helps preserve the healthy bacteria that are able to protect you from any infections.
- The best advantage is that you are free of any toxic shock syndrome that may occur due to constant use of a tampon. Cups are free of anything like this.
- There are no harmful chemicals like dioxin and bleach that are harmful to the skin that is found in pads and tampons. Often these chemicals are carcinogenic.
- Many women felt a lot better and experienced less cramping when using a cup.
- The trouble with menstrual fluid is that it develops an odor, however with cups there are no such issues as the blood is not exposed to air.
- The cups are mostly made of silicon that is absolutely comfortable; you may not even feel it within. It is as if wearing nothing at all.
- The cups are reusable and for this, they are environment-friendly. Tampons and pads are not biodegradable and often end up in landfills damaging the environment.
- Difficulty in using the cup as one needs to practice and get perfect with it.
- It is messy cleaning it up after every 12 hours.
- Often women find it difficult to clean up especially when they are out using public restrooms.
Whatever is your choice regarding using a menstrual cup a silicon one or a rubber one, now you are aware that these are more comfortable and a healthy option. Using one is sure a life-changing decision and liberates you from changing too often.