Tooth decay is a problem that affects everyone regardless of the age factor. These days even mothers of toddlers are concerned about the oral health of their toddlers as tooth decay is by large causing troubles. However, with this rising concern, it is essential to find means of countering it. Even though the problems may seem a bit nasty, but by using some simple home remedies it becomes easy to avoid it.
Image credit goes to Flickr Nusantara Development Initiatives NDI
Leading Causes Tooth Decay in Toddlers
Tooth decay occurs when the bacteria within mouth multiplies and begin grinding at primary teeth. This results in visible cavities. This happens due to following reasons:
- Not brushing teeth properly or not having a brushing routine at all.
- Sleeping with a bottle that leads the milk or the juice to sit in the mouth all night that becomes a breeding ground for oral bacteria.
- Unhealthy eating habits like sucking candy for a long time or consuming sugary foods.
Preventing Tooth Decay
Following are some of the tips that will help you prevent/avoid tooth decay:
- Avoid giving liquids at bedtime especially milk or juice. It is better to give your toddler a sippy cup of water in it to help them go to sleep.
- Create a brushing routine and if possible flossing too. Ensure to brush and floss your child’s teeth as a daily ritual.
- If you feed your child with citrus fruits then it is essential that you visit the dentist before your child reaches their first birthday to avoid early signs of cavities.
- Brush the teeth of your toddler with soft-bristles brush twice a day. This especially goes for times when they consume sweets.
- Avoid using fluoride-based toothpaste till the age of 2 or till the time they can spit.
Image credit goes to Flickr makelessnoise
Some of the natural remedies are available for countering tooth decay and for maintaining oral health in toddlers, these are as follows:
- Clove is the best when it comes to maintaining good oral health. It is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial, helps alleviate pain and stops tooth decay. Diluting few drops of clove oil with a quarter teaspoon of sesame seed oil is the best concoction. Then using a cotton ball dab it gently on the affected tooth.
- Rinsing mouth with saline water is a good remedy to counter tooth decay as it is naturally infused with antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. Take a cup full of warm water and add a teaspoon of salt into it, dissolve it then use it to gargle. This can be done three times a day for better results.
- Turmeric is yet another ingredient that is anti-bacterial in nature helping in maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Massaging the rounded Turmeric on affected tooth helps reduce swelling and alleviates pain.
- Cinnamon Oil is good for banishing cavity-causing bacteria. However, the oil needs to be diluted as it is very potent. Add a few drops in half cup of water and let your child rinse their mouth daily.
These home remedies effective and safe for all. Additionally, the ingredients are easily available in your kitchen that you need not rush to the pharmacy in case of tooth emergency. Use these to your child’s benefit and maintain their oral health without hassles.