Swollen Feet Ankles and Legs after C-Section
Pregnancy has many aspects that show different health situations, fatigue, mood swings and at last, presents you the best phase after delivery. Baby brings happiness in bulk. But, delivery in itself is a careful stage, after delivery many precautions are mandatory, especially, if it’s the cesarean one. Cesarean is a surgical delivery that is done through dissection in the abdominal wall and the uterus and not in the vagina. It’s not a matter to panic about or be frightened of. Yet, it needs extra care and caution.
Many problems are common in almost all c-section deliveries, like:-
- Loss of appetite.
- Heavy bleeding at initial stage.
- Abdominal cramping.
- Swelling in feet and ankles.
- Lack of hemoglobin and calcium.
Here, we will talk about swelling problem which is a complication that starts from pregnancy trimester and continues after delivery. After cesarean, some of the following reasons cause swelling in feet and ankles as well:-
- Some mothers feel safe in remaining in hospital even after 3-5 days of delivery, which gives time for the blood to form a clot in the veins and cause swelling.
- Lack of physical activity also causes clot in the feet.
- The IV fluids used in the whole procedure is found to be the major reason behind swelling of feet and ankles.
- Medicines have side effects that are unknown and can be painful too.
- C-section surgery brings down the calcium level in the body, making bones little weaker, if enough calcium is not running.
- Starting work that is not recommended by the doctor post delivery. These may include lifting heavy objects, sitting on laptop too long, working bare foot in the house.
- Winter cesarean is more prone to swelling, as it causes more difficulty in moving exercises.
- Additional surgeries can accompany the reasons that cause swelling.
- Absence of good nutritious diet increases the risk of continue swelling.
- The c-section stage by stage shows its signs of complications, enough knowledge is a boon.
Take a few measures that may decrease the swelling issues to much extent:-
- First and foremost, control the myth of staying for long on hospital bed and resting. The more hours on bed, more is the swelling.
- Take as much calcium, iron and vitamin D diet as possible. Doctors have the same advice, though, but, women hardly follow. The more you be strict with the nutrition rich diet, more you ease post delivery life.
- Gradually start the work, after reaching home, rather than getting overworked.
- Do not lift any heavy objects, for minimum two months.
- Give your body slow exercise sessions, as recommended. Yoga gives satisfying results.
- Different massage oils are available to soothe the swelling. Use as suitable. They are recommended during pregnancy also.
- Do not sit for long time, keep taking small walks.
- Medication suggested needs to be followed on time.
- Avoid carrying baby and walking too long. It may exhaust you ant put more pressure on feet.
- Take pillows between legs while sleeping.
- Consume milk and calcium rich foods, even if the tastes are troubling you post delivery.
- Do not walk bare foot, especially outside your room.
- Pneumatic boots give rise to blood circulation and prevent blood clotting.
- Dip your feet daily in aroma oil mixed water.
- Avoid sugary drinks, take healthy fluids in plenty.
- Be sufficiently warm in winter delivery.
Post delivery has equal care demands as during pregnancy. Be aware and careful to enjoy the precious and most delicate phase of a women’s life.