Parenting now has become the most confusing and vast topic. Being a mother you do everything for your child. But still we do mistakes unknowingly. To keep our child safe and healthy is our primary purpose. And if child is happy and healthy, mother will obviously be happy.
Generally newborn baby sleeps 20 hours/day. We mother can also take rest while the baby is sleeping, but do you know baby sleep positions are very necessary for his/her wellbeing. These days sudden infant death ratio is increasing day by day. SIDS is the leading cause of death among babies between 1 month and 1 year of age, and the most risk is at 2 months and 4 months of age. Thus it is important to follow the guidelines for prevention.
- Always put your baby to sleep on his or her back. If due to some reason like wind in stomach you can take our child stomach down position but when you put him/her on the bed to sleep, put on his/her back. It is a myth that It’s OK to put thebaby to sleep on his side. Lying on stomach can chock the nose and breathing process too.
- Never smoke near to the baby. It may cause suffocation for him/her. Smoking also has bad health effects for all including the baby. Always try to keep the baby out of smoky atmosphere. You should also keep away strong food smoke while preparing from the babies.
- Do not let the baby too warm. Baby’s bedding should be used according to the room temperature, but if it is too warm or too cold then maintaining room temperature is must. If the room temperature is not lower than 10 °C, you can use 4 layers of blanket. At 18 °C, you should use 3 layers, at 21 °C – 2 layers, at 24 °C – 1 layer and above this just a sheet and maintain the room temperature.
- Do you know SIDS mostly occurs in colder days? This is important to aware to the facts to reduce the risk factor. For this always put the baby at the foot of the cot (as shown in the picture) so that he/she cannot wriggle under the covers. If the baby is sleeping at head of the cot it increases the risk of moving hi/her down under the covers and either overheating or suffocating.
- If you found that baby is unwell, or any risk he/she faced, contact your doctor immediately.
Baby Sleeping Positions Pictures
- Wrong Sleeping Positions of New Born Baby
- Correct Safe Sleeping Positions of New Born Baby
Co-sleeping or cot-sleeping both are same in the risk of SIDS. But it should be considered that in the first 6 months baby should sleep in the same room of parents. On the other hand there are numerous benefits of co-sleeping like ease in breastfeeding, security in the baby etc.
Pacifiers also may help reduce the risk of SIDS. But don’t force if the baby doesn’t want it.