What is KMC: KMC means Kangaroo mother care which a method of care is especially for preterm babies. I should be initiated in the hospital after baby birth and continued at home.
How to do this: Kangaroo mother care gives to the babies by holding him continuously in close contact to the mother’s skin while being exclusively breastfed. The baby is placed on the mother’s chest between the breasts. For comfort baby nappy and cap can be used. Otherwise mother should give skin to skin contact to the baby as much possible.
Benefits: It is the best way to keep your small baby warm and it also helps establish breastfeeding. The benefits of KMC are as follows:
- Keeps the baby warm, comforted and loved.
- Helps in establishing breastfeeding.
- Prevents sever illnesses.
- Helps the baby gain weight.
- Maintain the baby’s normal body temperature.
(photo courtesy of the Institute of Neonatology of Serbia)