Being a girl, it was never easy to watch the hormones changing episodes every time. The ‘issues and insecurities’ carried me away when the matter of next change followed. But, changing with time is the basic rule of life and the same happens with our body too. Once, we understand the creation, we progress with calmness and harmony.
Image credit goes to Flickr Sarah Stierch
It is certainly not easy to handle the challenges women face in every few years of age, but, it is possible to hit back. The challenges come at different levels like- puberty time, fertility period, pregnancy and then menopause.
Menopause is the period when a woman takes the next challenge of age and body variations, shifts and transitions. The various symptoms that attack while going through the menopause state are insomnia, headaches, fatigue, hot flashes, bloating, night sweats, vaginal dryness, irritability, anxiety etc. These menopause symptoms affect all women, but, good nutrition can help to ease certain conditions. Adopting some dietary guidelines will prove favorable:
- Patch up the calcium Bone health needs extra care during menopause. Take low-fat milk and low-fat yogurt, it will fill up the calcium requirement and will also help in weight management. 1200- 1500 mg calcium every day will prevent osteoporosis after menopause. Take doctor’s advice for calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- Some researchers have proved that taking a Mediterranean diet will soothe down the hot flashes and night sweats during menopause and the poor diet problems after menopause. With lots of vegetables, fruits, olive oil, whole grains – the Mediterranean recipes will itself calm the symptoms.
- The low hormone production after menopause demands more and more iron absorption. The iron wealthy foods like green leafy vegetables, red meat, eggs will act as driving force for the future iron insufficiency.
- Heart disease is likely to attack after menopause if body fat increases. It is better to take more and more fiber rich foods to prepare for a healthy heart after menopause. Experts advise women over 51 years to take 21 Gms of fiber daily. Broccoli, carrots, citrus fruits, brown rice, almonds, legumes are best to prevent the digestive break down.
- The vitamin B will help stabilize the mood swings when suffering from fluctuations daily. As, the menopause stage stays for 2- 5 years, it brings various deficiencies and transformations. The vitamin B 12 deficiency can cause anemia in women after losing continuous blood for years.
- The drying out effects by decreasing estrogen levels in menopause can be treated with almonds. Almonds have vitamin E, Riboflavin, magnesium that improves vascular integrity.
- Although, not completely recommended, but, soy contains plant estrogens that can prevent menopausal symptoms.
- It is quite normal to have forgetfulness during and after menopause. Getting lost in places, forgetting common names, getting confused in daily activities bother in peri menopause and after completing menopause. The foods rich in Omega- 3 fatty acids will help in fueling brain power and will also reduce the risk of dementia. Flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, beans, eggs, canola oil are rich sources of omega 3.
Plenty of nutritious diets and a balanced food plan will make sure of your age and menopause related problems getting drowned. But, the preventions include not only the adopting diets but, also the disconnecting diet plans. Avoid processed foods and junk foods like potato chips, cookies, burger, pizzas etc. They can lead to excessive weight gain and even heart diseases when in menopause. Control over the alcohol and caffeine consumption. These can aggravate the menopause symptoms and can lead to cardiovascular disease. Cut down on tasty fatty snacks.
Import the best diet plan after 45 years of age, believe me- it is better than getting concerned.